From the Archives: One demonstration related to Netaji was done by Bábá in Jamalpur Jagriti, which was different from the rest.

One thing Margiis felt free to ask Bábá or it would be more appropriate to say that they could not refrain from asking now and then, was about Netaji Subhash.

On several occasions, Bábá obliged them by showing Subhash, mostly in meditation in a cave in Tibet.

During one General Darshan in Jamalpur someone among the gathering again brought up the subject whether Netaji was alive.

Bábá touched the back of Dasharath Da’s head and asked him to see if anybody else was in the room other than them.

Dasharath Da looked around and said that he was seeing that one Devayoni was standing in the corner near the entrance door. (Devayoni is a Positive Microvita with only three fundamental factor luminous, aerial and ethereal factors instead of the five factors in all normal bodies. It is also known as luminous body.)

Bábá then said that if Subhash was alive then a star mark would appear on it and if he was dead then a cross mark would appear on it.

Dasharath Da saw that a star mark appeared on it. Bábá smiled and asked the Margiis if they got the reply.

Bábá joined Vidyasagar College in Kolkata in 1939 and there was possibility that Bábá was in contact with Netaji while in Kolkata.

I mentioned that Netaji was taught Kapalika Sadhana before he left India. It was possible that he learnt other lessons of Sádhaná from Bábá during that time.

I mentioned about some hints given by Bábá. In one of the demonstration Bábá showed that there were skulls (used for Kapalik Sádhaná) in the cave where Subhash was meditating.

Bábá also said about Subhash not completing the formality of Kapalik Sádhaná while in Kolkata.

In many of Netaji’s writings during that period there was often mention of the importance of Spirituality and several of his ideas of that time have similarity to PROUT.

We don’t know if this was due to any influence of his association with Bábá.

On the 3rd of July 1940 Subhash was arrested by the British as he was about to launch a massive movement to oust them from India. He was kept in jail until the early December.

In the end of November he went on fast unto death if he was not released.

Upon that he was released on the 5th December and was kept under house arrest.

Bábá had told him during the visit to Jamalpur that if he could not fight from within the country he should leave the country and organize struggle from outside the country.

On 17th January, 1941 he left incognito from his house by car up to Gomoh (near Bokaro) accompanied by his nephew Shishiir Bose. From Gomoh he took train to Lahore and from there to Afghanistan and onwards.

Bábá said that, Subash met Bábá in Gomoh before he left. In a book written by Shishiir Bose about Subhash he mentioned that someone met Subhash in Gomoh station and took him away to some distance and had some long talk with him. In that book he refused to identify that person.

Subash took the help of Japanese and organized the Indians living in Malaysia and Singapore and the Indian Prisoners of War in the custody of the Japanese and started Indian National Army popularly known as INA with a view to liberate India.

Netaji first liberated the Indian territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and then attacked the North-Eastern part of India. He liberated Nagaland and Manipur and advanced towards Tejpur in Assam.

His slogan was ‘Delhi Chalo’ – March towards Delhi.

Wherever INA entered, the local population rose in revolt against the British and supported the INA.

The Congress leaders and Gandhiji opposed Netaji but India was with Netaji. He had given them a hope of liberating India from the British yoke. They were waiting for the INA to advance further. The British feared that if INA reached Bengal then the whole of India would rise in revolt and it would be difficult to stop Netaji then.

It was at that time that there was a strange twist to the whole direction of war. After the surrender of Japan, the military help that was coming from Japanese ended immediately. INA was without support and could not face the might of the British Empire without outside help. So they too had to end the war.

The British wanted to try Subash for waging war against them. He flew from Rangoon in Burma to Taiwan via Bangkok and Saigon. It was said that his plane crashed near Taihuckoo airport in Taiwan and he died in that crash. People in India never accepted that version.

The patriotic spirit kindled by Netaji was unstoppable and there was revolt in many places including by the Indian Army in Mumbai.

The British understood that they cannot hold on to India any longer and decided to free India.

On 15th August 1947 India became Independent.

There was a secret agreement between the new leaders of India and the British Govt. that if Subhash came back to India he would be handed over to the British to be tried as war criminal.

The need for that agreement showed that they also believed that Netaji was not dead.

The popular sentiment in India then was overwhelmingly for Subhash. If he had come back after the independence he would have been instantly accepted as the uncrowned king of India.

Ever since his disappearance, India was rife with the rumor that Netaji Subhash had appeared here, there or somewhere and that he was going to come out soon before the public.

Any such news would electrify the people. That expectation was so strong in Indian public’s mind that even today many hold on that hope. It may be that Bábá thought that Subhash had done his part for India and that the future of Indian politics would not be suitable for a person like Subhash. So Bábá wanted Subhash to spend the remaining part of his life in pursuit of ‘Paramapada’ – the Goal of life.

Margiis got proof of Subhash being alive when Bábá for the first time showed him meditating, to the saint who entered the dead body of Kristo Pal on 14th November 1954. Nothing was known about what happened during the 9 years after his disappearance. How Subash escaped after the war was not known nor was anything known about how he reached Tibet.

From 1954 up to 1969-1970, Bábá had shown several times Subhash doing Meditation in a cave in Tibet.

In 1969 itself during the ‘Demonstration Year’, Bábá had shown him several times.

Bábá had consistently turned down the appeal of the Margiis to bring Subhash back and help Prachar of Marga.

Then one day the following thing happened.

Most probably it was in the end of 1969 or early 1970 and Bábá was in Ranchi.

One evening Acarya Vijayanandaji who had just returned from Anandanagar was to go for field walk with Bábá.

He came to the gate of Bábá’s quarter where he was told that Bábá would leave for field-walk around 8 p.m.

Since there was another half an hour, Dada thought to return later to be in time for field-walk.

That day Bábá finished HIS Puja etc. early, and without following the usual formality came out dressed for filed-walk about 20 minutes earlier than usual 8 p.m.

Since Acarya Vijayanandaji was not yet there, the PA wanted to arrange somebody else to go with Bábá. Bábá told him not to send anybody along.

That day Bábá didn’t allow the usual VSS vehicle to follow. The only persons with Bábá were bodyguard Vishnu Devji, and another VSS volunteer Tiirat Ganju of Kuti. They too traveled with Bábá in HIS car. Deviating from the usual procedure of allowing the driver Dilip or Vishnu Deoji to decide the place of field-walk.

Bábá Himself started guiding Diliip the whole way. It was not the usual route. At a particular place Bábá asked Diliip to stop the car. Everything that Bábá directed them to do that day was a departure from the usual procedure. Usually the system was that after Bábá got off the car, Bábá would walk along the road.

That day Bábá entered a barren field nearby. Normally the car would either follow Bábá slowly at a distance during HIS walk or would wait, where Bábá got down, but the parking light was compulsorily put on during that time.

That day Bábá directed driver Diliip to switch off all the lights including the parking light. He was also asked not to step out of the car. Usually Visnu Devji would walk along beside Bábá showing the path with flash light. That day He asked both Visnu Devji and Tiiratji to walk about 15-20 steps behind Bábá.

Visnu Devji was asked not to switch on the light at all. They were also asked maintain strict silence. After covering about 100 meters they saw that a person was standing alone. In the dim moon light they could see that he had long beard.

Due to the darkness and the distance they were asked to maintain, they could not make out anything about him. He greeted Bábá by touching HIS feet and started walking along HIS side. They walked together for nearly half an hour. After covering a long distance Bábá stopped and continued the conversation with the stranger. In the end the stranger prostrated before Bábá.

Bábá blessed him and he departed.

Bábá also returned to the car. There was no word from Bábá until Bábá reached the car. Once inside the car, Bábá took some water and asked Diliip to return.

On the way they asked Bábá who it was and Bábá did not reply.

Only a few days later did Bábá reveal to them that it was Subhash. They were thrilled to hear that.

It would be appropriate to mention here that once talking about Subhash, Bábá said that he was spiritually very advanced and had developed many Siddhis (Occult powers) that he could travel anywhere using that.

A man, for whom entire India had been waiting for decades, came to meet Bábá on a dark night in lonely place unknown to the world.

Subhash’s disappearance has been a mystery to people of India and his coming to see the Lord of Mystery was no less a Mystery.

Why he came and what did Bábá talk with him would also remain a mystery. Bábá once said that Subhash was a great Mystery in the Cosmic Drama.



They call me a dreamer. I confess I am a dreamer. I have always been a dreamer –even when I was a child. The progress of the world has depended on dreamers and their dreams – not dreams of exploitation and aggrandizement and perpetuating injustice – but dreams of progress, happiness for the widest masses, liberty and independence for all nations.

I have been a dreamer of dreams. But the dream of all my dreams, the dearest dream of my life, has been the dream of freedom of India.

They think it is a discredit to be a dreamer. I take pride in being one. They do not like my dreams. But that is nothing new.

If I did not dream dreams of India’s freedom. I would have to accept the chains of slavery as something eternal.

The real crux of the question is, can my dreams become realities? I submit they have increasingly become realities. The army is one such dream come true.

NO, I do not bang a dreamer.

Subhash Chandra Bose

27th September, 1944.